What to do and Where to go on your visit to Salt Lake City
The official SLC visitor’s bureau website is here: http://www.saltlakecityutah.org/This site will answer any common questions. As for other places to visit, here are some places where we used to go and also many others. Many of these places are in walking distance. There is a “Trax” train system http://www.rideuta.com/ in which you can hop onto to get from one place to another. If you stay in the city center, it’s free.
- Olive Garden: 77 W 200 S, SLC
- The Red Iguana Mexican restaurant (if you can get in. SO good!) http://www.rediguana.com/home.html
- Nielson Ice Cream in Bountiful, OR SLC at 3918 Highland Dr. http://www.yelp.com/biz/nielsens-frozen-custard-salt-lake-city
- The malls across the street are gone, but one is replaced by the “City Creek Center” Mall and has an “amazing Deseret Bookstore” Sorry, no more Golden Swirl. http://shopcitycreekcenter-px.rtrk.com/?cpgn=reachlocal_CityCreekCenter
Entertainment and Fun Stuff
- Capital Theater: http://theatresaltlakecity.com/?gclid=CPXRtKOR3bUCFQhxQgodBlwAXw (Current show lists aren’t up for June 28th as of March 1st)
- The SLC Downtown Walking Tour: http://www.utah.com/cities/slc_walking.htm
- The Gateway: a 2 block outdoor “mall” with the Discovery Children’s Museum, Clark planetarium, IMAX, restaurants, stores, fountains the kids can run through, you name it, they probably have it. It’s also where the Union Train Station was. Very impressive. (Hop on the trax from Temple Square and go east about 4 blocks.) http://www.shopthegateway.com/
- Lagoon and Lagoon water park: http://www.lagoonpark.com/ (about an hour north of SLC)
- Cherry Hill Water Park: http://www.cherry-hill.com
- Seven Peaks: http://www.sevenpeaks.com/SevenPeaks/home.aspx/SITEID.1001_1 (South of BYU)
- Thanksgiving Point: IMAX, Dinasour museum: Very fun: http://www.thanksgivingpoint.org/
- Trolley Square: http://www.trolleysquare.com/
- Sugar House Park: http://www.sugarhousepark.org/
- Bingham Copper Mine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine
- Hogle Zoo: http://www.hoglezoo.org/
- Zions National Park: http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm (This is about a 3-5 hour drive south of Salt Lake.
- Moab is close to the famous Balance Rock, St. George is close to the Narrows, and many, many amazing hikes, camps, sights, etc.
- Antelope Island: http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm (Personally, it’s not worth the 2 hour drive)
- Church History Museum Temple Square Events: http://www.lds.org/church/events/temple-square-events?lang=eng
- Conference Center-they give tours. It’s amazing with a wilderness on the top, the Book of Mormon paintings that were in the SVC, and bronze busts of the prophets. A must see! http://www.visitsaltlake.com/listings/LDS-Church-Conference-Center/54776/
- Family History Center
- JSMB: See the Joseph Smith movie in the Legacy theater (they modified the original movie to make more sense to our “friends of another faith”) http://templesquarehospitality.com/jsmb/
- Beehive House
- Lion House
- Church Office Building
- Relief Society Building
- Ensign Peak http://www.utah.com/hike/ensign-peak-trail
- This is the Place Monument (Heritage park) http://www.thisistheplace.org/ This has changed quite a bit and costs money to see now.
- Welfare Square http://www.lds.org/locations/temple-square-salt-lake-city-welfare-square
- Music and the Spoken Word: Sister SaintFelix is IN the choir and Lloyd Newell will announce us there at our 20 year reunion!! Sunday at 9:30 am. In the tabernacle. http://www.musicandthespokenword.com/ for more specific info go to http://fans.musicandthespokenword.org/attend/
Gas up the rental car and Take a Temple Tour!! http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/temples/ . You can visit
|Road trip with Amanda Cook (Jarrard),|
Stephanie Condie (Fay), Sheila Webb (Stringham),
and Cristina Cano 4 years ago.
We took pictures in front of
9 different temples in 2 days. So MUCH FUN!
- Salt Lake
- Brigham City and Logan (About 2 hrs. north of SLC)
- Ogden (totally redone)
- Oquirrh, Draper, and Jordan River are on an East to West Strip south of SLC.
- Provo (by MTC) (Being remodeled)
- Provo Tabernacle—in construction to be a temple in downtown Provo
Other Stuff To Do
- State Capital: https://utahstatecapitol.utah.gov/
- “Memory Grove”: east of the capital http://www.slcgov.com/node/728
- BYU: www.byu.com
- Mormon Handicraft—at the This is the place monument area
- Cabelas : Across the highway from Thanksgiving Point at the Point of the Mountain. http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=013
For more questions feel free to contact me -Stephanie (Condie) Fay- on our Facebook reunion page.